Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween Evangelism Tool

As you all know, today is Halloween. I believe that many Christian families all over the United States are in bondage to this national holiday. The question to celebrate or not has most likely been running through their minds all month long. Now that the day has come, what is a concerned Christian to do!?


There are two answers in the Word of God that have helped me concerning my decision as homemaker.

Scripture says,

You are the salt of the earth. But what good is salt if it has lost its flavor? Can you make it salty again? It will be thrown out and trampled underfoot as worthless. "You are the light of the world--like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. Matthew 5:13-16 NLT

God said that Christians are the salt and light of this world. We can’t hide our beliefs and good works and preserve them for the Church only. No, we’re called to the Great Commission. We have to seek to save those that are lost. No, not everyone who chooses to celebrate Halloween is lost. But, some are. I believe if we stand on the principles in the Bible, then those that are Christian may be influenced to celebrate this evil holiday in a way that will give glory to God.

Abstain from all appearance of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:22 KJV

If it looks like evil, then stay away from it. Don’t copy the traditions of this evil world but be like Christ (Romans 12:2). Jesus didn’t exclude Himself from sinners. He came to save them. Therefore, He had to get around them. Yet, He became the higher influence. So He didn’t indulge in their sins.

So as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord Jesus Christ!

For the last couple of weeks, I’ve seen nothing good on television. While I’m cooking, cleaning, reading or blogging, I usually allow my children to watch PBS kids or Nick Jr. I only allow them to watch learning programs and a couple of nonviolent shows. But lately, all I’ve seen was the evils of Halloween being promoted. My heart grieved when my 3-year old son learned how to say ‘Halloween.’ It was his first big word! He’s also been saying things like ‘zombie’ and ‘witch.’ I’m proud of his comprehension skills but my goodness… why must they show this stuff on the educational shows?

I don’t like it. I have to guard my children’s hearts! It makes no sense for me to be listening to worship music or a sermon on YouTube while my kids are in the background yelling out demonic names every 5 seconds… It’s confusion and I’m not going to open a door for the enemy in my home.

In the past, I’ve let my son wear costumes and go out trick or treating. We did go to a Harvest Fest at church but I decided to go out trick or treating as well. This year I decided not to because last year didn’t feel right to me. I sensed darkness all around. Honestly, I was ashamed for exposing my child to that mess but I surely learned my lesson…

Our Harvest Fest was cancelled this year. I was a bit disappointed because I wanted my children to do something to get their minds off of the whole Halloween thing. So, this year I want to do something different. God put an evangelism project in my spirit.

It’s super last minute but I thought I might give it a shot instead of just doing nothing. Besides, what difference would I make in my children’s lives or others if I just sit back and do nothing? I don’t want to be religious. I want to be radical!

So, I took the last few packs of candy that I had in our food pantry and pasted salvation scriptures onto them as an evangelism tool.


Tonight, I’m leaving on my porch light so that people will know to come to our house. It’s only 8 pieces of candy. So it’ll be a first-come-first-serve basis. But, it’s just enough to create a big change!

My husband and I will pass out candy and bless everyone who comes to our front door in the matchless Name of Jesus! I’ll give my children candy too so that they won’t feel left out. As they grow older, I know the Lord will put something else on my heart. I believe He will honor my choices and show me how to get my children involved with Kingdom work and have fun doing it. (:

It’s all for God’s glory!

Author Jennifer Quetant


Bible Verses: John 3:16, John 3:17, John 14:6, Acts 2:21, Acts 2:38, Romans 6:23, Romans 10:9, 2 Peter 3:9

Resources: http://kennethcopelandministries.org/should-you-turn-your-light-on-halloween/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment